[su_heading]Written by Mindful Girl Lynee Palacios[/su_heading]
[su_pullquote]”Nourish your bodies with smart nutrition and your body won’t crave junk food anymore“[/su_pullquote]
Increasing your fats with a good exercise program can actually help increase your muscle! As a nutritionist and fitness trainer, even I myself have battled with trying to keep the unwanted and stubborn belly fat off. I have recently found that fats are my friend and the more you have them the more your body will love to utilize them as energy and will start burning fat as fuel versus carbohydrates or proteins. Don’t be afraid of them. There are good fats and bad fats however it is very simple and not as complicated as people make it to be. Stay away from processed foods and have more of the natural form of anything! I’ve included a recipe for a healthy fat dressing, it’s towards the bottom. Enjoy it!
[Tweet “Develop a relationship with Healthy Fats, your body needs them! #FitFam #HealthySelf @Lay_neee”]
[su_dropcap]F[/su_dropcap]at is not something to avoid. For starters, it’s essential for normal growth and development. Dietary fat also provides energy, protects our organs, maintains cell membranes, and helps the body absorb and process nutrients!!
- Fats are good and we need to develop a good relationship with them. Most people think that in order to lose weight you have to decrease your fat intake and this is such a huge myth!
- You need fat to break down fat. Without healthy fats in your body it stops functioning properly.
- You need fat for brain health, for proper hormone production and balance,
- For skin, hair, nails, and not to mention that the majority of our cells in our body are made up of a lipid bilayer → fat.
- Fats are essential in order for the body to make fat soluble vitamins.
Our bodies are capable of so much if they are nourished with the proper nutrition and macronutrients, such as fat. In fact, when there is a surplus of macronutrients in the body, meaning there is an excess amount of calories from your diet and your body has enough Omega 3’s which are essential fatty acids that you can only obtain from your diet (found in seafood, especially salmon, and in seeds, nuts, and other healthy fat sources), then your body will utilize fat from the body and break it down for energy production.
If you follow the lean and sexy people as inspiration you will notice a trend, they all incorporate a lot of good fats in their diet. Such as nuts and seeds (several options here!), avocados good lean proteins which have fats, eggs, coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, grass fed butter, and red palm oil. Fats have a higher energy density than any carbohydrate so they will keep you full (satiated), happy, and will help curb your sweet cravings that people have because of the lack of nourishment in their bodies. We crave the wrong foods like bread and starchy foods that lack nutrition when we should be nourishing our bodies with smarter nutrition; you stop craving junk and start the healing process of increased energy and vitality.
One of the many benefits of fats is that they help increase the absorption of micronutrients from your vegetables. For example: kale is loaded with vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and E as well as minerals such as calcium, iron, and potassium (all essential for proper function and metabolism). Sometimes we can load up on greens but not fully benefit from them. Without fat, your body won’t fully absorb all of the nutrients found in Kale. In other words, fats and veggies compliment each other very well. So remember, increase your fat and veggie intake and reap the health benefits from it!
Cook with red palm oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil… these fats have a higher heat resistance and are great for cooking. Avoid cooking with olive oil (and canola oil) since when heat is added to olive oil it can change the molecular structure of it causing it to become a “bad” fat or “saturated” … if you want to stay lean and be a fat burning machine then just use olive oil drizzled on salads.
Recipe For Grabs – Pin it, save it, share it:
[Tweet “Avocado Citrus Dressing with Healthy Fats N Vitamins! #foodie @lay_neee”]
- 1/4 cup of avocado oil (good monounsaturated fats- good for your heart health and lowering LDL cholesterol)
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (loaded with B-Vitamins, great for your nervous system)
- 1 garlic clove - antimicrobial properties, vitamin C, and polyphenols
- 1 peeled lemon - high in vitamin C and other antioxidants (anti aging and liver cleansing properties)
- 3 tablespoons of coconut amino (essential amino acids needed for proper metabolic functions in the body)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (detoxifying affect)
- Mix and blend all ingredients together for a delicious salad dressing
- This dressing tastes wonderful over Kale
EVERY INGREDIENT HAS A PURPOSE 🙂 BE MINDFUL! For more information on fats check out “The Truth About Fats” found on my Heal-thy Self Kitchen website. Find my other social links in the author box at the top.
Lynee Palacios, RDN
[Tweet “Fats are Evil, right? Wrong! Great read. #nutrition @lay_neee”]
About Be Mindful, You’re Creative
We are a blog+community that combines Alternative Medicine with Creative lifestyles. Our categories include Natural Living, Holistic Health, DIY & Fitness with a focus on Exercise Science, Nutrition, and Ayurveda. We are opening an online marketplace: “The Mindful Shop” featuring an array of health and spa products with art and fashion in Fall of 2015, and our Event Series in July 2015 – stay tuned and if you’re interested in consigning with us contact Sami at Hello@BeMindfulYoureCreative.com
[powr-mailing-list label=”Enter a Label”]
List of 5 most popular posts (by comments number)
[su_posts template=”templates/list-loop.php” posts_per_page=”5″ orderby=”comment_count”]