What is an eco-detox?
Aan eco detox is a way of cleaning the human body from toxins and slags by way of natural remedies and yoga exercises. You may decide to detox when coming back from vacation or if you’ve just been feeling “blah” like your body needs a recharge.The human body is designed to detox itself, however, sometimes it needs a little help, especially with everything we are exposed to in our modern society.
How do I know if I need to do a “detox”?We are exposed to toxins in our daily life from multiple sources (such as environmental, the food we eat, personal care products etc). This statement couldn’t be truer! Our skin is our largest organ and it absorbs everything it comes in contact with.
Think about your daily routine (How we travel to work? What type of environment do we work in? What do we eat all day? How much stress do we have?Toxin overload. All that I mentioned above can certainly contribute to the dysfunction of our bodies. What are the symptoms of a toxic overload? I was just discussing this with a friend the other day. Our bodies are like cars. We need to take good care of them in the form of diet and exercise so all our parts are performing at peak. What we put in our bodies we get out of our bodies. Junk in, junk out. Good in, good out.
Signs and Symptoms
- Dull appearing skin
- Poor memory and concentration
- Overweight and/or difficulty in losing weight
- Muscle soreness and stiff joints
- Poor immunity
- Digestive issues.
What is the best way to detox your body?It’s important to understand that it’s not necessary to spend hundreds of dollars on fancy pills or drinks to get a good detox. There are some great natural remedies you can do at home that will rid your body of toxins such as the following:
- Essential oils – Certain oils, like helichrysum, have detoxification properties and will rid the body of toxins. The oil can be applied topically over the areas of concern or using reflexology on the bottoms of the feet.
- Diet – This is one of the easiest ways to detox. Stay away from processed foods and eat a more plant-based diet. Try not to overload yourself with this at once, experiment with one new recipe per week and before you know it healthy eating will become second nature. One vital element to add is apple cider vinegar. You can mix lemon, apple cider vinegar, and water and drink a cup in the morning. ACV has several health benefits that act as a natural probiotic.
- Yoga – It’s great for the mind, body, and spirit. Twisting poses and asanas help to squeeze the organs and will be the most beneficial to your detoxing practice. As you are doing the poses it sends oxygenated blood to vital organs to help flush toxins out of the body while improving circulation.
Natural remediesThere are several types of detox remedies available, but below is just a few:
- Smoothies – There are some great smoothie recipes out there. This is a great way to experiment and try new fruits and vegetables. Try a smoothie instead of that coffee in the morning to get your body moving. One favorite smoothie recipe of mine is baby spinach, apple, banana, strawberries, orange and blend well. The possibilities are endless!
- Salt Bath – The magnesium in salt does wonders for our body. The salt draws out the toxins, relaxes your muscles, and relieves stress. Add some lavender essential oil and light some candles. This can be a great way to unwind after a long day.
- Supplements – Not all supplements are created equal. We all need help in this department, even those who are on a plant-based diet aren’t necessarily getting all the nutrients the body needs. One beneficial supplement to try is fulvic mineral (click the link for a comprehensive guide to Fulvic Minerals)
Detox yogaDetox doesn’t end at a rigorous diet, juice fast, or ingesting multiple herbs. It can be as simple as doing some yoga poses. I always feel energized after doing 15 minutes of yoga in the morning. Yoga carries the oxygenated blood to vital organs and flushes out the toxins leaving you feeling energized and renewed. After yoga in the morning drink plenty of water and then have your smoothie and you’ll be ready to conquer the day!
While there are many yoga poses to practice, here are a couple yoga poses you can try:
- Extended triangle – This pose works out your whole body and improves digestion.
- Warrior II – This is another great whole body pose while stimulating the abdominal organs.
- Reverse warrior – This is a great one if you have back pain. It also increases energy and helps relieve stress.
Take AwayThese are some great natural ways to detox your body. Yoga not only detoxifies your body but it also helps you with your flexibility and building stronger muscles. A great thing about yoga is you do not need to spend money on classes. Thanks to the internet, you can google poses or you can watch YouTube videos and do the poses in the privacy of your own home. We can’t forget about books, there are also plenty of these about yoga. Yoga is for everyone, anyone can practice no matter the level you are. From beginners to expert, it just takes practice and consistency. Invite a friend over or do it by yourself, just remember to focus on your breath while practicing! You have to find what works best for you.
“Remember to do something today your future self will thank you for.”
References: https://www.ecoparent.ca/food/do-you-need-detox https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9375/10-tips-to-get-rid-of-toxins-get-your-body-ready-for-summer.html https://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/1011161-11-yoga-poses-detoxify-body
AUTHOR BIO: Polly Tig has always been interested in holistic and alternative ways of healing. Ayurveda and yoga are the best medicines for her. Deeply intuitive she finds that true healing surpasses the boundaries of the physical body and embraces the emotional, energetic and subtlest layers of our being. Polly helps people to know how to be healthy and beautiful using only natural remedies. She is an expert in Shilajit, what is one of the main superfoods of Ayurveda and believes that nature is the best source of human health.