Thanks for tuning in on our last day of the Grapefruit highlight! Tomorrow we will be starting a new food which will be Carrots. In honor of the Jess Ainscough passing.
If you’re a sweet and spicy type of tastebud – I think this is a good mix for you! The grapefruit tremendously lightens up the flavor palette here. I would say its comparable to a mango habanero sort of deal, but not that intense. There is a little bit of added sugar, and while I would like to say that is optional – I don’t think it should be left out. It carries out the grapefruit, seeing how it can be a bit tart if left alone. But it’s up to you – taste as you go.
I could see this at the type in a mexican feast or even at breakfast; last night I made a breakfast feast for dinner and used this salsa and I was happy I did. There’s something about the splash of bittersweet that just sits well.
I know that the “Grapefruit Diet” is considered a fad – but hey if something dates all the way back to the 1930’s, I think it’s definitely worth trying again or bringing back to the forefront.
Since highlighting this food all week – I have yearned the desire to eat one everyday from here on out!
- One Grapefruit has about 77 milligrams of Vitamin C (that’s more than 70% of you daily recommended value)
- Vitamin C boost the immune system and and fights the inflammatory assault of free radicals. Vitamin C also benefits the cardiovascular health by reducing plaque build up which can lead to heart attack and stroke.
- 1 cup of grapefruit juice contains about 2.5 grams of fiber
- Low in calories at around 74 per 1 cup
- Contains citrus limonoids that help prevent cancerous cells from spreading rapidly and excessively. Limonoids have been shown to help fight cancers of the mouth, skin, lung, breast, stomach and colon. Eating at least one grapefruit each day or drinking an 8-ounce glass of juice promotes a lower risk of getting cancer and prohibits the growth of cancer cells.
Grapefruit Essential Oil:
Grapefruit EO is a popular oil to use in conjunction with weight management programs, and can also mentally uplift to easy stress and anxiety. It’s extracted and cold pressed from the rind. You can also place a drop of the Grapefruit EO in your water or white wine, sounds tasty if you ask me!
- Plant Properties: Energizing, Purifying and tonic, Antidepressant, Antioxidant (powerful)
- Uses and Benefits: Cleansing and Detoxifying, satiety, weight management
- Mental Aromatic Effect: Fresh, Citrus, Uplifting to the Mind, Support of One’s own sense of self love and approval
- Chakra Color: Yellow
What this means … is that there are an incredible amount of benefits from the rinds of grapefruit, so don’t throw those away! Soak them in a jug of water for a detox grapefruit water, or – finely grate the peels (rinds) and sprinkle on a savory dish.
Bottom line, grapefruits are beneficial on many levels and while I do think they are an acquired taste because of the tart bitterness, there are ways we can sweeten or brighten its tasteful properties. And much like this dish, the grapefruit ironically adds sweetness to the spice.
RECIPE: Save it, pin it, share it, use it, love it!
- 1 Large Organic Grapefruit - cut and chopped
- 1/2 Organic Red Bell Pepper - minced
- 2 Tbs Organic Red Onion - minced
- 2 Tbs Organic Cilantro Leaves - chopped
- 2 Tbs Organic Lime Juice - freshly squeezed
- 2 Teaspoons Organic Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Jalapeno - minced
- 1 Tbs Organic extra virgin Olive Oil
- In a medium bowl combine the grapefruit, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and sugar - mix well
- In an additional small bowl combine the lime juice and olive oil, mix well and pour over the grapefruit mix
- Toss well, cover with foil or lid, and chill for a few hours before serving
About Be Mindful, You’re Creative
We are a blog+community that combines Alternative Medicine with Creative lifestyles. Our categories include Natural Living, Holistic Health, DIY & Fitness with a focus on Exercise Science, Nutrition, and Ayurveda. We are opening an online marketplace: “The Mindful Shop” featuring an array of health and spa products with art and fashion in Fall of 2015, and our Event Series in July 2015 – stay tuned and if you’re interested in consigning with us contact Sami at Hello@BeMindfulYoureCreative.com[powr-mailing-list label=”Enter a Label”]
List of 5 most popular posts (by comments number)
- How to Make an Antioxidant Smoothie with Everlast Vegan Protein
- This is What Happened When I Stopped Using Conditioner
- Bathroom Beauty Must-haves + Yogi Surprise + Goddess Provisions + August Discounts!
- A Healthy Version of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- 100 Songs of High Energy Bliss on Spotify + Downloadables Announcement!