A serial entrepreneur, high-level content creator, and & multimedia producer at Mindful Hellos and Lambda Lion. Passionate about Ayurvedic wellness and combining creativity for a holistically balanced lifestyle.
[su_heading]All links in this blog lead to safe trusted affiliate partners & will support us a blog[/su_heading]
This week we kicked off our weekly food highlight, where we choose one ingredient to use in various ways in hopes to inspire others to be creative with food preparation, especially when buying in bulk. Often times when buying in bulk our food goes bad before we can even get to it! This happens to me with spinach, every time! If you’re on instagram or twitter, we are using the hashtag #BeMindfulDaily, if you want an easier way to find us on the web.
The first food we chose is the beautimous Grapefruit; and, the first recipe we decided to make is a craft cocktail (could also be made virgin style). Because why not have a midweek cocktail, we deserve it and besides – it’s fresh and not like we’re throwing back a case of beers or a bottle of wine.
[Tweet “A delicious Ginger Grape cocktail refresher! #craftcocktail #foodie”]
- Discovered in t he 18th Century
- Is a natural cross between an Orange and a Pomelo
- Was given the grapefruit name that reflects in how the grapefruit grow, in clusters like grapes
- Very high source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C, along with copper, dietary fiber, potassium, biotin, and Vitamin B1
- Naringenin found in grapefruit help repair damaged DNA in human prostate cancer cells
- May help prevent weight gain by lowering insulin levels
- The pulp of citrus fruits like grapefruit contain glucarates compounds that may help prevent breast cancer
- Ranked one of the highest in antioxidants
Since they are in season right now, it might be a good idea to go stock up!
If you plan on eating within a week, you may leave them out in room temperature. If you plan on eating them after that, put them in fridge, in crisper out of the bags to help preserve the shelf life.
Now onto the goodies!
[su_button url=”http://bit.ly/1e705xD” target=”blank” background=”#5cbaa4″ center=”yes”]Shop here with one of our trusted and low cost affiliate partners for Ginger products![/su_button]
As we mentioned before, this craft cocktail does have some alcohol in it but can easily be left out. We combined freshly juiced grapefruit, freshly cooked ginger root, a homemade ginger simple syrup, soda water (to make it bubble), and organic sugar – garnished with a grapefruit slice and a spring of fresh, whole mint herb leaves. You’ll need a juicer and a stove for this, but if you don’t have a juice you can always buy FRESH cold pressed grapefruit juice.
Here is the recipe! Please share it, make it, love it, pin it, and save it.
- 1 Whole Organic Grapefruit - Juiced (2 -3 ounces)
- 1 Knob of Organic Ginger Root (cooked)
- 1/2 Cup Organic Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Desired amount Club Soda
- 2 Ounces Organic Vodka (desired amount, or none)(optional)
- 1 Sprig Fresh Organic Mint (muddled)
- In a small pot on the stove, put the 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of sugar, and fresh ginger root and turn to boil
- Continuously stir until sugar is dissolved, ensuring that the ginger root is cooking
- (You can add a little bit of ground ginger in here for extra flavor as well; a tablespoon worth)
- While watching the stove, put the mint leaves in a very small bowl with a few splashes of the club soda and muddle the leaves extracting the flavor, leaves will break a little bit this is okay
- Once all dissolved, remove from heat and let cool
- Grap a rocks glass or a tumbler and pour in the fresh, cooled simple syrup, the muddled mint & liquid
- Pour in your vodka
- Pour in desired amount of ice
- Then pour the desired amount of club soda
- Put your grapefruit slice in the cup, and garnish with mint
- done! Enjoy
- To substitute club soda, you can use regular sparkling water, or real stevia ginger ale. If using ginger ale, you might want to use less ginger in the simple syrup to keep from over powering the ginger flavor.
Isn’t it gorgeous? It was so tasteful that I truly wish I had made more. But one was enough, especially if you’re like me and don’t consume a lot of sugar in your diet. The glass shown is an 8oz glass but a pint size glass (16oz) could also easily work.
You deserve a mid-week cocktail! Enjoy it, happy hump day. If you have any questions about the steps of recipe – comment below.
Thank you for stopping by!
[powr-social-media-icons label=”Enter a Label”]
About Be Mindful, You’re Creative
We are a blog+community that combines Alternative Medicine with Creative lifestyles. Our categories include Natural Living, Holistic Health, DIY & Fitness with a focus on Exercise Science, Nutrition, and Ayurveda. We are opening an online marketplace: “The Mindful Shop” featuring an array of health and spa products with art and fashion in Fall of 2015.
[powr-mailing-list label=”Enter a Label”]
List of 5 most popular posts (by comments number)
[su_posts template=”templates/list-loop.php” posts_per_page=”5″ orderby=”comment_count”]