A serial entrepreneur, high-level content creator, and & multimedia producer at Mindful Hellos and Lambda Lion. Passionate about Ayurvedic wellness and combining creativity for a holistically balanced lifestyle.
[su_heading]TWO DELECTABLE VEGAN RECIPES FOR #MEATLESSMONDAY[/su_heading]
[su_dropcap]A[/su_dropcap]As I stand here in my kitchen taste testing all of these flavors that make you go ”mmm”… I am so proud of 1 of 2 recipes in particular! Kind of like how the Italians raise their kisses to the roof – yeah, exactly that feeling. My original recipe was going to be a variation of Asian lettuce wraps — buuut when it comes to food, for me, it’s all about what you feel in the moment and if it happens to change, flow with it and tune into your intuition. I went to start making them and tuned into a whole new idea, on the fly! It just so happens I had a ton of ingredients for it.
Really quick, you might ask – Why Meatless Monday? believe it or not, going meatless for just one day can provide better breathing for everyone, globally; it may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity. A 2013 study by the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization reports that meat production generates more greenhouse gases than all the world’s cars, planes, trains, and ships combined. Read more here and see how you can help!
I’m just going to get right down to the core of this recipe. It’s packed with fresh and dehydrated herbs, tons of flavor, spice but not overloaded – it’s more of a subtle herb-y spice than a hot mouth spice, lots of onion and garlic. If you don’t like onions, you will not like this soup! The “Pork-less” comes from the lightly sweet-n-sour sauced pork-less bites from Gardein, Gardein = Garden + Protein. When it’s time to get meat alternatives, I buy tofu and Gardein products! I don’t eat real pork, so this is a satisfying alternative. This bag has 13g of protein.
Here is the recipe!
- 1 Bag of Gardein Pork-Less Bites (Sweet & Sour)
- 1 Handful of Linguine Egg Noodles
- 1 Full head of cabbage
- 1/2 Cup of Okra
- 1 Cup of Green Beans
- 1 Bunch of Spinach
- 1 Whole Thinly Sliced Onion
- 5 Fresh Garlic Cloves
- 1 Handful of sliced shiitakes mushrooms
- 2 TBS Coriander Seeds
- 2 TBS Fennel Seeds
- 1 TBS Ginger Powder
- Freshly Ground Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 Fresh Sprig of Rosemary (chopped)
- 32 oz of Vegetable broth (if you want more broth, add water)
- In one medium sized pan, heat olive oil on medium (or just below) and put the Pork-Less Bites, constantly turn and cook for 7 minutes. Half way through, dump a fair amount of the Sweet n Sour sauce into the pan and sauté them in it. Sprinkle some ginger here.
- In a Large-wide pot, fill about a half-way with water (or how much you want as a soup, will depend on how much water/broth you fill), spices, and all ingredients except for the Pork-Less Bites. Let boil to get the juices extracting. Feel free to add in some vegetable broth to make this extra broth-y! Boil for 15 minutes.
- Check on the pork-less bites and by now they should be done and looking like the sweet and sour texture you get from asian restaurants. Take off burner.
- Taste test your pot to your liking and add more spices if needed. Transfer broth and veggies into a wide set bowl, then take tongs (or something of that nature) and transfer your pork-less bites on top of your soup.
- Let cool for a minute, then serve!
- Cilantro added would be a very complimentary flavor. Along with Cumin, Cayenne, lemongrass, and green onions. They will defer the taste to make it a hot spice rather than a subtle herb spice as mentioned in the blog. If you don't need to go Vegan, try adding Organic Beef Broth!
- Enjoy this incredibly flavorful dish!
No joke, SO INCREDIBLY TASTEFUL! I’m tempted to bring the entire batch to work and have everyone taste it LOL. That good.
[su_dropcap]I[/su_dropcap]I fully support Gardein and the opportunity it provides people to who make life choices to be vegan or vegetarian but want to still feel “normal”. I was a vegetarian until I was 27 years old, I’m now 30. It’s bass-ackwards but it wasn’t solely for pro animal choice, it was a health choice that made me feel better; when I did eat meat, or byproducts – I would get severely sick. To this day, I am still tremendously lactose intolerant and I’m so grateful that I have a ton of options on the market to get my fix of those things I can’t have, and still taste dam good! ie: milk, cheese, meat, etc. Either way, don’t ever judge someone for making a choice to be vegan/vegetarian because you never know one day your stomach and body might start having adverse affects from the above mentioned.
- 1 Bag of Gardein's Crab-Less Cakes
- 3-4 Small Tortillas
- 15oz of Bulk Black Beans or 1 Can of Black Beans (organic)
- 15oz of nonGMO Corn
- 7 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 TBS of Pink Himalayan Salt
- Pinch of Garlic / Lemon Pepper
- Olive Oil (Extra virgin organic)
- A Ninja Kitchen Blender or Food Processor
- 2 small pans and 1 Medium pan
- Tongs or similar
- Using one of your small pans, pour olive oil to get a thin layer, and turn heat up to JUST BELOW MEDIUM. Let heat up just enough to use, and place one tortilla into the oil and let cook/harden. Once you see it become a shell, take tongs and flip over to repeat. Form into taco shell halfway through so it keeps the shape. Repeat 3-4 times depending how many shells you want. Place napkins on a plate and transfer your shells onto the napkins. Turn heat off and set aside.
- Drain your beans and put them in your medium pan with the corn along with the salt, garlic, and pepper, turn to medium or just below heat, stir occasionally and mix together for 6 minutes. Once done set aside, you will put this on the plate first.
- Simultaneously, Oil your other small pan and place all of the crab-less cakes and turn up to a medium or just below heat, and let cook on one side for 4 minutes or until golden brown. Then flip all of them over to repeat.
- Once crab-less cakes are done, place them in your Ninja Kitchen blender or food processor and pulse TWO TIMES. This should shred them successfully!
- Chop your cherry tomatoes in prep of a garnish
- Place your beans/ corn in the center of the plate, place your shells on top of that, and start to fill your shells with the crab-less shreds and chopped tomatoes, sprinkle additional corn and beans on top of that. I drizzled an orange glaze on top of that but its not necessary or you can use whatever. Cilantro lime would be tasty also. Put additional corns and beans on the side of the plate if desired.
- Make sure all burners are turned off, heat up your plate of food for 15 seconds in the microwave, and serve / enjoy!
Gardein is allowing me to give you a $1.00 off coupon of ONE (1) PACKAGE OF Gardein! Go here to locate a store, the choices, and to download the coupon: take me to Gardein
[su_dropcap]A[/su_dropcap]I’m so glad you all dropped by – I encourage you to try these recipes out, they will last you 2 days each if you eat them by yourself. So good, healthy, meat alternatives by a trusted plant protein source: Gardein. Don’t forget to grab that coupon!