A serial entrepreneur, high-level content creator, and & multimedia producer at Mindful Hellos and Lambda Lion. Passionate about Ayurvedic wellness and combining creativity for a holistically balanced lifestyle.
THE NO CONDITIONER JOURNEY
[su_dropcap style=”flat” size=”5″]I[/su_dropcap] Is this real life? You betcha. I too thought it was crazy considering my oldest sister has been a hair stylist for 15 years and is now a salon owner. She would probably flip if she knew I was doing this, but it will be our little secret (until she finds this blog and yells at me with concerned love in a comment) *giggle snort*.
Let me ask you one thing: Do you deal with too-soft, thin, and un-stylable hair after you shower?
This actually started off as an experiment but after the first hair wash without it, I was hooked. You’re probably thinking my hair is really dry.
But it’s not!
It’s more healthy and voluminous than it ever has been and I’m 30 years old!
WHAT TRIGGERED THIS NOTION?
When I was living in a SW suburb of Denver earlier this year, I made several lifestyle adjustments. I was pretty much alone aside from my parents living 30 minutes away that allowed me to spend time discovering new ways of living in a completely different environment.
I had moved from the desert (Scottsdale, Arizona) that left my mind & body out of whack from the sudden change of the high altitude of 5,280 ft, every day.
It wasn’t one thing per se that pushed me to experiment, I literally woke up one day and said I want to stop using conditioner. I, as a whole, felt heavy. I wanted to do something small or big to feel lighter so I started with my hair.
HERE’S WHAT I LEARNED:
- My hair was suddenly less “greasy”
- My hair curled easier and better
- It stayed styled longer
- Lasted about 50% longer before needed washing
- I wasted less product
- Blow dryer, or no blow dryer, my hair still remained thick. Blow drying added more volume though, says captain obvious.
- My hair color has lasted longer!
- Ironically I felt cleaner
- My hair grew approximately 50% in one year
BUT MY HAIR WOULD BE
TANGLY AND DRY, WOULDN’T IT?
[su_dropcap style=”flat” size=”5″]B[/su_dropcap] By not using conditioner, you absolutely run the risk of tangles, dryness, and dull. The hair still needs to stay healthy – this is where supplemental nutrients become vital, otherwise, you risk having dry and brittle hair.
I already am a lover of oils and extracts so this was an easy move for me, but if one wanted to make this move – one would need to be acclimated to having properly proportioned oils in their hair.
I didn’t just drop conditioner either further nourishing it,
Now obviously the amount used will determine the “greasy” factor, so keeping in mind that a little goes a long way is key.
Moreover, I’ve had [without a doubt] wholesome hair since I was in 8th grade (and every color you can think of) because of my sister as a cosmetologist and “hip/stylish” mother even prior to that, so I think overall I’ve been pretty lucky to have the organic desire to keep it healthy.
HERE IS WHAT I USE AS SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRIENTS:
- Once a week, I use a hair mask that includes Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, and Rosemary Essential Oil. Until recently, I’ve been using my own blend that I made (because I’m herbologist crafty like that) but this is being replaced with the Nutri-Pomade & Mask with Shea & Coconut by Qet Botanicals that I plan to cover all of the details in my upcoming Ayurvedic Hair Routine blog coming soon!
- Twice a week, I use small amounts of Tamanu Oil as a strengthening treatment. This is being replaced with Natural Shine Serum by Qet Botanicals.
- Twice a week – mixed with the Tamanu Oil: Undiluted 100% pure & therapeutic grade Rosemary, Cedarwood, and Clary Sage essential oils via my trusted affiliate partner Piping Rock (don’t be discouraged by the low price, they have no middle man and are able to knock the prices down!).
These are all deemed as natural hair thickeners, increases circulation, and oil balancers. I pour them into my hair, rub together and run through my hair and on my scalp. I do not experience any burning but if you do, wash your hair immediately.
- Daily Biotin capsules: Biotin assists with hair, nail, and skin health, aka Biotin, is an enzyme and B vitamin. This is what has contributed towards my hair growth! (along with periodic hair trims, this is necessary!)
[Tweet “Rosemary, cedarwood, & clary sage #essentialoils for hair growth! #NoConditionerJourney #blogger #safebeauty”]
OREGON + FLUFFY HAIR
[su_dropcap style=”flat” size=”5″]S[/su_dropcap] Since [finally and permanently] moving to Portland, Oregon June of 2016, there is one major thing I noticed with my hair: it is completely fluffy! So take the above positive attributes of no conditioner plus the moisture in the air, this is the happiest I have ever been with my hair even in its natural state, to date.
Overall, I would highly recommend this method to anyone. I’m so happy that I’ve gotten rid of that greasy, weighed down conditioner!
What’s the worst that could happen? Nothing [in life] is permanent. If you have any questions I’d be happy to answer them or give advice on anything you’re curious about. Give it a go!
Please share with your friends.