A serial entrepreneur, high-level content creator, and & multimedia producer at Mindful Hellos and Lambda Lion. Passionate about Ayurvedic wellness and combining creativity for a holistically balanced lifestyle.
How to Create a Stress-Free Morning Routine
[su_dropcap]T[/su_dropcap] This actually happens to be my morning routine, but I bet many of you will enjoy this! If you have ever said to yourself, or to someone else, “I don’t have time in the morning”, or “you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning” then you will appreciate this. Waking up in the morning is a blessing, make it feel like one!
Allow yourself to …
Wake up with enough time to alleviate having to rush out of bed and into the world. I don’t care what you say, no one actually enjoys that. But how, Sami? Allow me to list a few things:
- Get to bed at a decent time the night before. Set your morning up for success; without ample amount of sleep our brain won’t function properly
- Sleep in a few extra minutes. (As if you didn’t already). Seriously, slee in an extra 20 minutes. The Prefrontal Cortex where creativity, planning, problem solving, and innovation are most active during REM sleep and when your REM sleep phase is jipped, your emotion in which is controlled by this sleeping phase, are out of whack! Leaving you grumpy, crabby, irritable, etc.
Does this mean Naps are actually good for me? …
100%. You may be thinking “there’s no way, if I nap I lose out on things that need to be done”. Well guess what, they aren’t going anywhere. And what’s more important, your health and happiness or getting a task done? Unless you’re a doctor who needs that life depending task done, take a nap. 20 more minutes of sleep at any point of your day can drastically improve your stamina and mood regulation.
That quiet morning breeze though …
- When you’re ready to get up out of bed, try to catch some of those early morning sun rays with that breeze in your robe while you sip on some warm lemon water. Your coffee can wait an hour! In Ayurvedic medicine the philosophy is said that the very first item you ingest will set the mood for the rest of your day. Not only are you soaking in that “special energy in the air”, drinking warm lemon water stimulates your gastro tract that keeps things moving where the lemon is high in vitamins and minerals to help loosen the toxins to be flushed out from the digestive tract.
Do not skip breakfast …
- Sorry but, don’t give me that excuse you’re not hungry in the morning. Your body just went 8 (ish) hours without any food or liquid and you’re telling me that once you activate that by awaking you’re not hungry? NONSENSE. What are you an alien? Eat something. Food is medicine. Food is energy. Food is vitamins! Hopefully you don’t take your vitamins in the morning on an empty stomach, that basically counteracts the purpose in addition to creating nausea. Grab some hard boiled eggs, or some toast with fruit and avocados, or some oats, a smoothie, vegetable juice. Something! Foods high in B Vitamins help convert food to energy which will in turn set your day up right!
Vitamin C helps increase the absorption of iron, so keep drinking your orange juice for breakfast or take a vitamin C supplement with your iron. I highly recommend this powder Amalaki, it’s the richest source of Vitamin C in the world and it’s 100% organic and herbal!
TWEET ME! ↓
[Tweet “#HowTo create a stress-free morning routine with a holistic approach! #health #blogger”]
Yawn like the lioness that you are …
- How good does it feel to first wake up and kick out your legs and arms like a child, rolling around in the bed? (Yes I just described myself). Amazing right? Well, stand up and do this. Be mindful with your body’s rotations and movements. Chances are you are not an old lady reading this … so let’s not feel like one! If you don’t have a yoga mat, throw out a towel or rug to protect your knees and for a non slip grip. You will hear things crack, and pop, and ooooh feel good. Those are all good things! Stretching regains or deepens flexibility. Open your hips, forward fold and feel it in your hamstrings, get into a lunge and externally rotate your torso reaching your arm into the sky. Just open it. Everything. Stand up, connect your hands behind your back, and puff up your pecs and chest, look up, and arch your back. If you clavicle area opens up I guarantee you’ll have an “ahhh” moment! Now go out in the world feeling limber and confident.
Gargle warm Olive or Sesame Oil …
- Yes, I said that. I personally like Sesame better but use whatever you have. This isn’t the same as Oil Pulling, because that’s a more extensive process. This is quick after you brush. But why would you want to gargle oil? Because it strengthens the teeth, gums, jaw, and protects the voice. Swish, spit, and use your index finger to massage the excess oil into your gums in clockwise to stimulate the gum tissue, lubes the cells, and cleanses the digestive tract. Now if you want to get even more oily, brush your teeth with coconut oil. Truth is, we don’t really need to brush with toothpaste. Our mouths would be just fine with dry brushing, oil pulling, or brushing with coconut oil. Sure you won’t get the suds, but you know what you also won’t be getting? Chemicals. Click here for a 16.oz Organic Virgin Sesame Oil through my affiliate partner Piping Rock Health Products.
Now let’s get wet!
- Shower or bathe in the morning. Now remember that anything we put on the body will eventually be absorbed into the body. Try to stay away from products that have perfumes and synthetic chemicals. Look for things like “free of dyes, paraben free, gluten free, etc”. Click here for a full gallery of safe and affordable beauty products to use through my affiliate partner Piping Rock Health Products.
Oils FOR MAKEUP REMOVAL …
- Part of my morning routine once I’m clean or have a washed face, I’ll dab a small amount of Sweet Almond Oil on a cotton around and proceed to wipe around and under my eyes. This removes mascara and any other dark particle left over from makeup removal. This and Coconut oil actually work fantastically as a natural eye makeup remover. You can either apply the oil with your clean fingers onto your eyes and rub, then wipe with cotton. Or use cotton for application and removal. It’s a personal preference at that point. Make sure you have some Kleenex or a towel nearby for those hands, or better yet – rub it on your hands for extra smoothness!
Incorporate Essential Oils …
Something I can’t live without! I’ll often times use my relaxing oil based lotion onto my hands, elbows, shoulders, and behind my neck. This is a mixture of sesame oil (or you can use jojoba oil, sweet almond oil) with lavender. Now since you probably aren’t making skincare often like myself, what you can do is pour a quarter size (or more) into the palm of your hand, and drop in 2-3 drops of lavender, mix, and spread evenly on your body. If you haven’t tried this before, maybe just try out a patch to ensure you’re not allergic of any kind. Jojoba oil is going to be your best bet for all skin types. Sesame as well, but try them all. Another use for lavender is dabbing a drop on my finger and putting it under my nose after I’ve applied all my makeup. This is a direct inhalation and an instant calming effect! Click here to browse 100+ affordable therapeutic grade essential oil options starting at $2.99!
Take Away …
All I’m saying is that all the above are all acts of self love. Treat yourself like no one can. Don’t start your morning off on a bad foot, energy is contagious. Be that light who sends out good vibes when you come in contact with someone or even that person in line at your coffee shop. Be contagious! Love yourself. I love you, and I don’t even know you! 🙂
May you have a self-fulfilling morning routine and a prosperous day.